Role: Head of Programmes
Base: San’aa, Yemen
Responsible to: Head of Mission (HoM)
Human Appeal (HA) is a non-profit organisation working across the globe to strengthen humanity’s struggle against poverty, social injustice and natural disaster. Through the provision of immediate relief and establishment of sustainable development programmes, we aim to invest in real effective solutions.
Now over 25 years, Human Appeal has a presence in 24 countries spanning across 3 continents: Asia, Africa and Europe. 2017 is an exciting time as we continue to build on our achievements to transform the lives of millions of people across the world.
The candidate for this position will be responsible to lead and guide in the assessment, initiation, administration, supervision and evaluation of HA Yemen Humanitarian projects.
- Responsible for the delivery of our Yemen programmes, ensuring programme effectiveness through Head office, Sub-offices and partner teams.
- Lead the implementation of the International programmes strategy in line with HA’s vision, mission and core values.
- Delivery of the programmes operational plan and ensuring alignment with HA’s strategic plan.
- Support program staff to generate high quality donor reports and ensure their submission in a timely manner.
- Provide cohesive humanitarian planning for the HA Yemen office, ensuring that priorities and opportunities identified are in line with HA’s strategic plan and goals.
- Engage with UN, NGOs, CBOs and government line ministries on developing and ensuring adherence to minimum humanitarian standards in the implementation of projects;
- Day-to-day and on the ground management of the emergency project teams based in San’a and Aden.
- Development and execution of Core Competencies (Food Security & Livelihoods, Health, WASH) strategies.
- Ensure effective management of agency and donor property and compliance of donor financial regulations, as per established policies and procedures.
- Monitor compliance with donor regulations and QS policies, in the course of project implementation, and build capacity of staff and partners in this area.
Resource Mobilisation & Grant management
- Identify funding opportunities and develop competitive, responsive proposals that meet internal standards, and are donor compliant.
- Establish connections with donors to explore current and potential funding opportunities.
- The Programmes Manager builds, monitors and manages the quality of the open contracting grant portfolio.
- Ensure that all projects are implemented in adherence to HA’s Project Cycle Management (PCM) framework
- Financial oversight of the projects under his/her supervision. Responsible for ensuring financial management controls are effectively practiced through all programme levels.
- Monitor budgeted vs actual expenditure (BvA) as provided by Finance whilst mitigating any budget variances
- Closely monitor project implementation and budget utilization and ensure that program and spending targets are met.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensure robust monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEAL) processes and framework are in place.
- In cooperation with programmes staff, oversee the implementation of a monitoring and evaluation plan for all the projects, in line with the donor guidelines. This system should ensure that activity, impact and output data is captured in an accurate and efficient manner, and that programs are continually tailored to optimize quality and impact levels.
- Ensure full accountability to both donors and beneficiaries and be responsible for continuously improving transparency and value for money and programmatic impact.
- Mitigate and reduce financial risks to the operational delivery of HA Yemen Office’s objectives.
- Knowledge and experience in implementing integrated food security, Health and WASH projects.
- Minimum 8 years of working experience in planning, implementing and managing humanitarian or development aid projects. Proven experience/knowledge in administrative standards and requirements of donors (ECHO, OFDA, DFID, OCHA, WFP, etc.)
- Diplomatic and negotiation skills in dealing with partners, different authorities, donors, institutions and staff.
- Excellent ability to lead a team, work in a team and to mediate.
- Fully computer literate (Microsoft Office)
- Fluency in English and Arabic (written and spoken).
- Master’s Degree in the field of economics, business development/management, education, social sciences, management, international development, or related fields (Preferable)